Friday, June 22, 2012

Under The Same Sky

So, just a couple more blog posts that are not garden related, I promise, then I'll go back to photos of herbs, talking about mulch and our growing season.  I just have to take this one post to share something with a few people I love - and the rest of you of course!

I was on the phone with my sister the other day. At one point in the conversation I said "oh, the neighbors are getting rained on," so she replied "it's raining there huh?" and I said, no, just at the neighbors, they're two miles away but its pouring over there. That's how the ND prairie and ND weather is. You can watch it roll past or watch it come right up on you. If you keep your eyes peeled you know just how long you have before you need to run for the house and whether or not you can grab a lawn chair and watch the storm or head for shelter. (Disclaimer here - ALWAYS head for shelter when storms head your way - its safer.)

You see, Boy - yes, the one who is miles away in a forest filled land - is missing home.  He's missing the farm, the big ND sky, the ND stars, the ND weather.  He's missing flying our big kite in the ND breezes and sitting in the shade with the birds, insects and critters talking away.

So I thought I'd send him a little of what he's missing.  Here at the new farm we are truly blessed to be a part of the landscape.  A small and insignificant part, but yet a part of something wonderful and big.  One of my favorite sayings is "from here, if you stand on a kitchen chair, you can see tomorrow".  It's true you know, from my place you can.  Take a look at what I mean...


Whether its early spring snow on the ground and in the sky...




Or late spring sunsets with Easter colors...


The big white billows of the first day of summer...


Or the unsettled storm clouds of June.





We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon." ~ Konrad Adenauer


And from where I sit, you can't beat the view.


No comments:

Post a Comment